WHAT IS SUCCEED?
The U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command Underserved Community Cybersecurity and Engineering Education Development program, or SUCCEED, is a joint effort between the command and the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
The overarching purpose of SUCCEED is to encourage utilization and growth of talent pools within underserved communities. SUCCEED will enact partnerships that will leverage the talent of students attending historically Black colleges and universities, Hispanic-Serving Institutions and underserved high school communities throughout the state, to equip and prepare minorities to compete and succeed in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers with the federal government and at USASMDC.
USASMDC is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment while providing real world career experience and opportunities in the federal government and/or contractors supporting governmental initiatives.
As a participant of the SUCCEED program, students will receive the following educational and developmental benefits:
- Participants in the SUCCEED program are hired on as paid employees of UAH.
- Eligible students are nominated for a security clearance since it is a requirement for most cybersecurity jobs.
- As such, the minimum age for participation in the SUCCEED program is 18 years old. The exception will be high school students chosen to participate in unclassified projects.
- Students are trained in the foundations of cybersecurity in the UAH Cyber Force Incubator development platform.
- The CFI is an experiential laboratory providing low-cost, low-risk, cutting-edge cyber solutions to students with hands-on learning, cyber training and work rotations in multi-discipline cyber fields to prepare them for a cybersecurity career through the instruction of industry experts.
Most importantly, students will receive real world, cutting-edge work experiences that prepare them for employment opportunities in cybersecurity and engineering fields.
Students who express interest in joining the SUCCEED program should reach out to their partnering institution. Academic instructors interested in learning more about the SUCCEED program should email the listed SMDC SUCCEED contact.