Entry Authorization Procedures  Updated: 08/25/2015

Kwajalein Entry Authorizations (EAs) are processed through an on-island site sponsor.  Your site sponsor will provide you with the needed form(s).  The READ system is no longer used for Kwajalein entry.

United Airlines and AMC/ATI require an approved entry authorization before allowing passengers to board an aircraft bound for Kwajalein. Passengers without an approval will not be allowed to board the aircraft.
All civilian travelers MUST have a passport to re-enter the U.S..
Birth certificates with photo identification are NO longer accepted for travelers re-entering the U.S.


*New PASSPORT requirements for travel by land or sea began January 2008 as directed by Homeland Security.
A passport is required for ALL civilian travelers to and from Kwajalein via either ATI (Military) or United. This is due to any flight changes that may affect your mode of travel. For military personnel, your id and travel orders are required, passport is not necessary, but you must also have an approved Entry Authorization (EA).

Security Clearances

If the visit will involve discussion or disclosure of classified information or material, a Visit Request/Authorization must be furnished verifying the security clearance of the individual and the purpose of the visit. The verification will bear the appropriate signature of the visitor's security manager verifying the individual personnel security clearance of the visitor(s). Visit request information submitted via JPAS, must be sent SMO W4T8AA6. In addition, verification from government contractors must have a government sponsor's certification of need to know. The verification of clearance can be valid for a period of one year. Security clearances must be addressed to: Reagan Test Site, ATTN: SMDC-TCR-R, APO AP 96555.   Clearances not sent through JPAS can be faxed to DSN: 254-2122, Commercial: (805) 355-2122, Attention: Security Clearance

Arrival at Kwajalein

Kwajalein is located in a foreign country and requires official documentation for entry to and exit from the installation. This documentation consists of an Information Sheet (completed at the time of entry), a “K-badge” (permanent residents, only), an Entry Authorization valid for the date of entry, and a photo ID.   If you are in possession of a Common Access Card (CAC), it will be your I.D. If not, you will be issued a photo I.D. for on-Island purposes.

All personnel returning to the U.S. from Kwajalein are subject to the requirements of the US Immigration and Naturalization Service.   All personnel returning to the U. S. are required to present a passport.  Non U.S. Citizens must have the proper documentation to reenter the U.S. Documentation includes valid foreign passport and the accompanying valid U. S. Visa or a valid U. S. Alien Registration Card (Permanent Resident Card) INS Form 551 - commonly known as a Green Card.  All documentation must be current.

Valid Passports are required for all civilian passengers to re-enter the US from Kwajalein on all air and sea transportation.
Currently, a visa from the Republic of the Marshall Islands is not required.

Cash, checks and credit cards are accepted at all major retail facilities (AAFES PX, Pxtra, Shopette, and Kwaj Lodge).  Cards that are accepted include American Express, VISA and Master Card.  ATM's are available at several public locations for your convenience with a daily limit of $400 and a $2.00 fee.

Commonly Asked Questions

Q. What documentation must I have to return to the U.S.

A. A passport is required for all civilian travelers to and from Kwajalein via either ATI (Military) or United.  This is due to any flight changes that may affect your mode of travel. For Military, your military id and travel orders are required for entry back into the United States.

Q. Do I need a passport to travel to Kwajalein?

A. A civilian passport is required for all civilian travelers to Kwajalein via either ATI (Military) or United.   This is due to any flight changes that may affect your mode of travel. For Military, your military ID, travel orders and an approved EA are required for travel to Kwajalein.

Q. I will be arriving two days later than my approved entry authorization reflects.  Must I submit a new request?

A. No. As long as your arrival date comes within 7 days from the original date, a new request is not required; however, your Site Sponsor should be notified for billeting purposes.  If you will be arriving before the approved arrival date, contact your Site Sponsor change your dates or enter a new EA.  If you plan to stay longer than your departure date, that can be taken care of when you arrive at Kwajalein.   All dates should be coordinated with your Site Sponsor.

Q. I am a contractor and I would like to fly AMC to Kwajalein. What do I need to do to get booked on AMC?

A. You must contact your government sponsor. It is their responsibility to get you booked on an AMC flight and provide appropriate orders.

Q. How can my spouse reach me while on TDY to Kwajalein?

A. The commercial number for the Kwaj Lodge is (805) 355-3477 or DSN 254-3477.

Q. I have an approved entry authorization; however, I was denied access to a classified meeting. Why?

A. Many visitors are unaware that an entry authorization approval and a visit request/ authorization are two different documents.   If your visit will involve discussion or disclosure of classified information or material, see the procedure for processing clearances as described in "Security Clearances"".  An approved entry authorization is strictly for permission of island entry.

Q. Who arranges accommodations at the Kwaj Lodge for me?

A. The on-island POC (Site Sponsor) makes reservations for you.

Q. When I travel to other army bases in countries overseas, I am required to obtain in-country/theater clearance.  Is this applicable to Kwajalein?

A. No, in-country/theater clearance is not required.

Q. How do I, as a contractor, figure my grade equivalency and what kind of accommodations can I expect?

A. USAKA applies the following guidelines:

Military Rank

Civil Service


Contractor Equivalent

Category Authorized

COL & Above

GS-15 & Above

CEO, President, Vice President or comparable position as approved by USAKA Protocol



GS-12 thru 14

Senior managers below VP to one level below Site Manager


E-7 thru CPT

GS-6 thru 11

Other supervisory personnel and managers. Positions normally requiring baccalaureate degree or equivalent experience


E-1 thru E-6

GS-1 thru 5

All others.


DV: Designated Distinguished Visitor (DV) quarters
PB: Private bath, single occupancy.
SB: Shared bath; double occupancy
MCL: Common latrine; multiple occupancy.

Q. What is the per diem rate for Kwajalein?

A. Total per diem for Kwajalein is $176; lodging is $130 and M&IE is $46.

Q. What is the time difference?

A. USAKA/RTS is on the other side of the international date line; therefore, they are one day ahead of CONUS. USAKA/RTS is 18 hours ahead of Central Standard Time (CST). For example, 9:00 am on November 5th CST is 3:00 am on November 6th. Kwajalein does not change to Daylight Savings Time; therefore, when CONUS is on Daylight Savings Time, the time difference is 17 hours from Central Daylight Time (CDT). The easiest way to figure the time is to subtract 6 hours from CST and it’s the next day. CDT – subtract 7 hours and it’s the next day.

Q. What is the normal work schedule in Kwajalein?

A. The employees at Kwajalein work a Tuesday through Saturday work schedule to coincide with the CONUS Monday through Friday work schedule. 0730 – 1630 is the most common time schedule with a one hour lunch time between 1130 – 1230 or 1200 –1300.